Wow. I can't believe how long this stinkin' baseboard took me. 2 and a half years. That's right.
The original baseboard was damaged when we moved in and we ripped it out. The wall stayed like that, devoid of a baseboard, for a year until my mom came to visit. She took matters into her own hands and got us a new one at Lowe's. It was the perfect length and even mitered at one end, exactly right. Soon after she left I attempted to nail it in place and found a stud literally 2 out of 20 times. I couldn't figure out why none of my nails ever seemed to make contact; so I gave up. And there it remained, a pock-marked and dinged up symbol of my failure, until last month. I yanked it out, removed the nails, filled the holes, painted it, bought 3'' nails (vs my previous 2 1/2 ''), and tried again. Success at last.